Thursday, November 18, 2004

Your calling...

I've been thinking a lot about happiness. I am currently reading The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and it has me assessing what the source, for me, would be.

Much of it is composed of the basics: love, understanding, trust, safety, etc., all needed for the foundation of happiness, as well as the perception of belonging.

That said, I began to make a list of things I would like to accomplish in life and/or experience. I consider these activities as life enhancers, likely to cultivate happiness as they help to compose true meaning for me.

ALEAH'S ULTIMATE 'TO DO' LIST

  • Become more aware and involved in my surroundings (greater Toronto area), including its history, terrain, wildlife, etc. (We are so clueless when it comes to our own backyard! I want to change this.)
  • Volunteer more
  • Become more politically involved, and perhaps even run for office
  • Be an aware, loving, committed parent (doesn't mean I will be perfect or have my own biological kids, but I feel being a teacher to someone is vital - even if it's being a mentor.)
  • Keep practicing and practicing (doesn't matter what in particular)
  • Keep laughter alive
  • Make more, buy less
  • Have a garden
  • Publish * Publish * Publish
  • Travel as much and as cheaply as possible
  • Learn a martial art
  • In love, be solid, honest, forgiving, and wise
  • Lead by example
  • Spend more time being outdoors every day
  • Be a part of the community; actually know my neighbors
  • Learn another language
  • Keep moving: dancing, walking, playing
  • Stop eating processed foods
  • Finish damn novel
  • Take care of the small and defenceless
  • Take time for solitude
  • Start an annual family/friends reunion (we just don't make time for these anymore, and they are so important)
  • Know the past but stop dwelling on it
  • Camp at least once every summer
  • Spend time in the desert
  • Make time for friends


Quite a lot to tackle but I wanted a written trail for future reference...I will add more as ideas come to me.

What are some of your life goals?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home