Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Working for a sculptor


John Henry Waddell Posted by Hello

I had the wonderful experience of working as a model for a sculptor in Arizona. It was a terrifying and liberating experience - one I will never forget.

Like most of us, I was insecure about my body and not especially warm to the idea of standing naked on a platform, and in broad daylight. Go figure.

However, my time working with John, which was short, was validation at its finest. I did come to the realization that I am not different from any other fragile life form, not long for this world. It was humbling and I really enjoyed my newfound freedom. There is incredible liberation in knowing that your fears are very small in the grand picture.

I miss those desert days and the surreal landscape of bronze figures that stood against the canyon backdrop. I miss the warmth of the sun on skin and the meaningful conversations with a man in his eighties who treated life with great reverence.

If you haven't modeled for an artist, I highly recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home