Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Music for a cold, rainy day

I admit it, I was one of those nerdy girls who made mixed tapes for all the boys and girls I loved. Still do, only now I burn cds for them.

The power of music to communicate still overwhelms me. I listen to certain songs and am immediately reminded of various points in my life and the people with whom I shared those experiences.

It's funny, I was discussing with Rick a certain angsty-boy-band and suddenly had a strong reaction, a feeling of rage crept into my chest as I told him, "I hate that band." But why? In fact, that particular band reminded me of an arrogant guy I used to date who played their music non-stop. Ah-hah!

Another singer-songwriter's music reminds me of a smoky evening in a college bar, crowded around them at 3 am, sharing a pack of smokes. And another group, who shall remain nameless, of a trek across the Midwest with a collection of disfigured Barbies and a stranded St. Louis phone call.

You could say everyone has a soundtrack for their life. I'm curious, what would yours be?

As for me, I am going to make myself a mix for the day:



  • What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
  • No Poetry - Gary Jules
  • Goodbye - Patty Griffin
  • Fish and Whistle - John Prine
  • I Believe - Chris Isaak
  • Is Jesus Your Pal - GusGus
  • Paper Thin Walls - Modest Mouse
  • I Can't Wait - The Sundays
  • The Messenger - Dan Lanois
  • Hard Times - EastMountainSouth
  • Hole in the Bucket - Spearhead
  • This is the Hour - Jimmy Rankin
  • Goddamn HIV - Mary Gauthier
  • The Other Man - Sloan
  • Jolene - Dolly Parton
  • Cello Song - Nick Drake
  • Beautiful People - Rusted Root
  • Song of Solomon - Kate Bush

Okay, now you....

jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home