Thursday, November 04, 2004

Aftershock

I'm feeling a bit better today - not quite so morose about the results of the election. I suppose what shocked me in all of this is the almost fanatical following of the "Christian Moral Coalition," as narrowly defined by people who have no real clue about what's going on in the world. I think there's a need for people to be allowed to live out their fantasies (which Bush certainly allows). For some, the fantasy entails God. For others, the fantasy might include self-worth equated with financial power, or physical safety through warfare. Whatever construct we use to meet our needs, basically.

What this means to me is that there are far too many people in the United States who need to use fantasy to fulfill their basic needs. Jon Strande, a blog friend of mine, recently posted an article that speaks of the spiritual conflict that the U.S. is facing: How the Bush Administration Has Diminished America's Spiritual Capital. It's a bit of a read, but I highly recommend taking the time.

I often wonder if real change can be possible when the methodology is so vastly different from person to person. My concept of positive change will differ greatly from someone who voted for Bush for moral reasons, say. Trying to find a bridge between my beliefs versus theirs seems impossible. How do you find common ground when you are dealing with myriad fantasies of "who we are and why we exist."

I am left with feeling somewhat helpless. For if each one of us differs in these core understandings, how can there be a possibility of reaching a compromise?

However, I continue to maintain my own path and try to be as accountable as I can be for my own actions. This is all I can do, and therefore, I can find some peace of mind in that. Perhaps this is what the Dali Lama refers to as happiness?

Thoughts?

j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home