Monday, September 20, 2004

You can go with this or you can go with that...

Monday. Monday. Monday.

I got pooped on by a pigeon sniper this morning. That gives you the general theme of my day.

I have been lambasting a bunch of marketers as of late, so have had little time to rant here. I love getting into arguments about ethics with marketing and PR people. They get so offended when I say to them that there is a moral dilemma that must occur if one is at all conscious of the products they help launch.

No matter how you slice it, you have to at least exaggerate to be a marketer. You may not be a bald faced liar, but you exaggerate to create a "sell." It isn't something I am trying to say to cause outrage. To a certain extent, we all do a bit of exaggerating in our jobs. Still, they get so tight assed about it. It's kind of amusing, really. I'm in the design / marketing business and have strong ideas about what products I will be involved with, and draw very clear lines.

Still, I don't live under some veil of ignorance about what the job entails. There will be businesses our firm assists that I don't particularly care for, but I can live with it.

I could go back in to fundraising. This is selling at it's purest. However, I also need to state that there are some charities that are as caught up in the greed machine as any for profit. Again, it's a matter of personal conviction and research.

For now, it's building a business time and getting the firm to a point where I can do whatever my little cynical heart desires, which will likely be writing and fundraising work.

Careers are funny. Seems like every time you draw the line at what you'll do to make ends meet, there you are with the eraser.

Off to make sure the bills get paid...

jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home